[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 pm

Wow, congrats! That looks super cool, the golden halo, :)

I still have 65 badges left, all in Vicious dungeons, with around 40% of it (28) all from VGT and Naga City being the second one with the most badges still remaining.

I am still wrapping my head around how is it possible to do some vicious dungeons with the Rat Monarch and certain tougher classes or badges.

Very impressed by your achievement! Super envious at the same time, :)
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby Tinker on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:00 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby William on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:23 pm

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:56 pm

Purist badge on VGT:

This has been, to date, the hardest badge to do (and I'm only missing one last badge which is probably impossible anyway). It was the first badge that had me scum. I gave the first couple of tries a shot regardless of the altar, but there's only so far you can go without resists / health boosts. JJ was a close call but in sharp contract to GG, his piety generation slows considerably once you're done with the courtyard (whereas GG picks up massively at high levels). I tried several other builds, and some got close (Tower 9 close even), but I could not beat Horatio with anything except this dude.

Now, saying it was scummy is a bit of an understatement. It took me at least 6-8 serious attempts (and at least 2-3 extra for each of those where the initial altar was not good) to actually win, because something always went wrong (the usual worst offenders were pre-explored Binlor floor, and/or very late First Strike floor). If nothing went wrong, I messed up something. It's a really specific setup, having to leave extra magic-using popcorn to get back to 50 in Taurog, and even more guys for Dracul, on top of all the monsters you anyway need to leave to wipe curses...

Now, even on the successful run, I only won by the skin of my teeth. I didn't get HALPMEH, Soul Orb or Martyr Wraps, but I did get Viper Ward and CYDSTEPP, so I was good to go. Reaching T10 was actually not so eventful, nothing really screwed me over, I actually had "no misfortune 3" instead of "grim malus", Mystera was pre-explored, etc., so it was not so tight. I had, what I felt was, a lot of resources going into the boss fight.

I got H down to cca. 1000 health, when I ran out of blood pools. So plan 'B' kicked in, and I took a shot of Blood Swell twice as I had two popcorn saved just for this occasion. This got H down to <500 health, which was 5 hits, but I had no more blood pools or monsters. I did have my death protection, and my first strike, and Yang's Sword, so I thought it's not impossible to win. I hit H and got a dodge! Cool! So I used up the DPs but he still had 11 health more than what I could hit him for with first strike, and I only had 5 mana (with zero blackspace remaining). I had about 30 piety. So I needed a plan 'C'... In the end I desecrated Mystera (I felt really bad about it - but I didn't want to do the math for JJ, so I went with the safe option), got a Blood Swell, and just slapped that evil fat goat once off health, and the second time via first strike.
Tinker

Postby William on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:28 pm

I love those close call, use every single resource type endings in dungeons. It just feels so satisfying pulling off a win when it seems impossible. I can see I will have some "fun" headaches once I start looking for badges in VGT.
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Tinker

Postby sitnaltax on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:20 pm

sitnaltax

Postby Tinker on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Tinker

Postby sitnaltax on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:29 am

You folks weren't kidding about VT VGT being manageable once it gets going.

I had a run of fantastic luck with my Vampire:
* Bloodless on the second floor
* Tower Shield in a shop
* also Platemail
* also five hits of resists from Patches, for a grand total of 53/43% resists, plus did I mention Platemail

I've never finished any VGT with so many resources remaining, VT or no. I had blackspace remaining on most floors and all my bloodpools; I was gaining health from H after the berserk.

Next stop: Goat, then see if I can work out a miracle with the Rat.
sitnaltax

Postby sitnaltax on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:32 am

Interesting quirk: My screenshot reads "Victory in Vicious Gaan-Talet as a Vampire!" Tinker's reads "Victory in Vicious Gaan-Talet as a Vampire Vampire!" Is this a platform difference? (I'm running the Steam version on PC.)
sitnaltax

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons