[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby eastless on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:04 am

Hello there, and first of all I'm so sorry about my 'english', I'm russian and had no practice, I can read and understand mostly of your messages but it is really hard for me to speak, all I have is google translate and some knowledge from school. There is no russian community of this pure fantastic awesome perfect funniest and balanced ever game, so I just need to start posting here so I can bragging too, and sharing expirience, discuss ideas, so on. I didn't actually have official version of the game, I stole this via pirate bay, and I hope you guys wouldn't despite me for this, still I have most of the content, means most of fun, missing only Chemist, Rat Monarh and daileis, which are as I understand a huge piece of fun also. Anyway, I'll surely buy it asap, but I have to socialize right now. (And I can improve my enslish skills which is good.)

Unfortunately, I can't make screenshots and I hope someone can help me fix this problem. I used to play on Windows XP lately and could make screenshots easily, but now on Windows 10 I just can't make them. So I need your help, and then I could sharing and bragging.

I wanted to share my flawless victory over Horatio in VGT with Vampire in Platemale with HALMEH and Balanced Dagger, but after last two submitted here victories this is not so impressive, I could even manage VT If I knew it would be so perfectly lucky run. Anyway, now I'm thinking about few more runs in there, (like Dracul Paladin with prepd DS and scum for Vampiric Blade so don't hit descrease resist cap, problem is you will lose piety for using HALPMEH, _but_ you can stao on zero piety, I'm wondering how could it work, anyway I still have to unlock Vampiric Blade and Agnostic Collar first) and wish to share my feelings in future. :)
eastless

Postby William on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:06 pm

All these VGT posts have made me almost try another run in it. I have only beaten it with a Vampire so far. What approach do you guys use with other classes, specifically when it comes to God worshipping/switching?
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:36 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby William on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:02 pm

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:21 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby William on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:43 pm

I wasn't as efficient as I could have been, but I managed VT VGT with a cheaty Vampire. ;)

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby sitnaltax on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:32 am

Congrats! The Bridge Troll/Sensation Stone floor being last is rough luck for a Vampire. But that Balanced dagger makes getting off the ground easier.

To add to what Tinker said about VGT: I think characters need a fifth thing, which is a way to deal with H's 50% resists. This can be either Martyr Wraps (my favorite); BYCEPPS (leave it on the ground until the last fight); the Piercing Wand, which is mana-intensive but OK; or just having a ton of extra resources.

I don't get as fancy as Tinker or Astral with gods; for most of my VGT wins, I just did Taurog->Drac. I rarely take Body Pact since you get 53% resists even with no Patches hits, and having Consensus available is a comfort. If you need a second desecration to get the last boon to push you over the edge, Tikki Tooki is usually a reasonable choice.

(Body Pact is great if you go monotheist Drac)

Rogue, Wizard, Sorcerer, Berserker, and Paladin would be my choices for easiest non-Vampire VGT classes, with Thief and Fighter behind. Monk is also very good but plays differently. For all non-Rogues, I prefer Orcs.
sitnaltax

Postby William on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:17 am

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby eastless on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:30 am

Just finished a ridiculously epic lucky run in Doubledoom (PQI Cheeky Gnome Tinker).
Both ENDISWAL and BURNDAYRAZ near stairs. First shop free boots. Tricky Mystera was hiding behind the walls. Three shops are: Platemale, Battlemage Ring and (rofl) Orb of Zot.
Bloodpool used to be L4 Warlock blocking my way to the golden subdungeon. Yeah, killing that L1 serpent was too hard, you know, poison and stuff. Unfortunately no IMAWAL, but CYDESTEPP is even better. Here I'm talking to this L9 Warlock, and he begs me not to kill him.
Then I realized I can kick Goo's ass. These two shops to the left are also Midas and Dragon Soul. Vicious luck.
May be I should go VT, but then it would be spoons and other triswords.
Did some math also and it seems like I could kill Goo at level 1, but without Codex, and it was not guaranteed, Tormented Soul could be easily.

Also, here's my previous VHoS Purist Tinker run.
Did it without Platemail or EM. Leveling was pure pain, even with 2 Health Boosts and dagger (but desecrated Taurog helped with early Petition), popcorn subdungeon hepled a lot with i-dont-wanna-die guy, though there was no other way but to use Chaos Avatar during this fight, and Burn Salve after. Then I exploded at the signpost on purpose (my first time) and yay! Got another compression seal (didn't use both) and Schadenfreude (used to fuel BYSSEPS, pretty sure it was necessary). Converted to Dracul exactly at 50 piety (hardly got this), desecrated JJ so got 5 indulgencies (number of my health potions), got Blood Curse and Shield, but no lifesteal, two shots of Tithe, drunk every bloodpool, used two swells and won. Also, there was unreachable room in the middle, so Blah Blah could blink there and survive, I was so afraid of it.

...twelve hours later, lying in bed, I realized that I could use Taurog's shield to kill first boss.

Today I beated VHoS with Vampire.
It was third try, (first with Dragon Shield and second with Dwarven Gauntlets, both seemed impossible) and again I killed Indomitable without damage reducing (started fight at 6 level, because couldn't find this L6 Wraith), though there was Platemale, and even Whurrgarbl, and even blacksmith subdungeon (used Bear Mace on last hits), but I spend my gold on Badge to finish L8 Wraith, lacked 1 point of damage (then used Badge at some point to get inventory slot, and then at some another point SUDDENLY noticed that I have no Death Protection - wasted this somehow and did not even notice). But then Platemale was definately the only choice to spend Indomitable's cash.
eastless

Postby William on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:49 pm

"Because Goatperson"
William

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons