[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby Blovski on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Playing as a Rat with Binlor I tend to get more mileage from getting the corrode up higher and faster and it makes it easier to salt the popcorn as you wander around collecting MR at the start. I also don't really get any use out of other Glyphs other than the free ones under Binlor (and *possibly* Imawal) with the inventory space restrictions. Extra Health is kind of irrelevant until the late game spike if your resists are high enough to take a hit from a non-Bleaty.

Extra Mana is definitely a decent call for the guaranteed 3 Pisorfs/2 Fireballs but since I run with Elite Items + Transloc and there's a ton of potential ways to get +1 mana so I'm happy to risk missing it once in a while and just generally I want to get the popcorn edible as I'm hitting 50% MR (ideally +15%MR from Elven Boots) with a plan to convert out.
Blovski

Postby Astral on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Yeah, that's an interesting choice. I tend to go with Boost Health and rarely Mana as well. I like Boost Health's interaction with Stone Skin, this allows me to tank hits from even higher level foes and maintain a 1 kill 1 ding leveling phase.

There aren't many must have glyphs, but I love finding Halpme as it speeds up the corrosion stacking process. Cydstep is auto win and B2P can be really handy when up against bosses with manaburn,poison or curse.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Tinker on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Even if you stick to converting everything (I normally keep at least fireball), you only gain 100 cp (i.e. +1.25 stacks). Whenever I considered this, I always went with the guaranteed +2 Mana or +2/Lvl health. If anything, I could imagine Extra Glyph just to increase the odds of finding a keeper glyph like ENDISWAL or IMAWAL, though I guess if your build is based heavily on Binlor, you do get the guaranteed ENDISWAL.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of using Binlor as a universal deity, I'd much rather do that with JJ or Mystera... Plus, Binlor prep makes the levels look very ugly with all the unbreakable walls, so I normally just stay clear of him.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Blovski on Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:11 pm

It's more that 1 glyph + 1 potion gives you 2 full conversions, whereas normally you'd have to search for 2 glyphs to do that, so you can start corroding up the popcorn faster in general. It's not a huge deal for late game and I'd probably pick differently if not for Binlor but it suits my playstyle a lot more than a late game power increase. I tend to play Binlor Rats like a really oldschool Binlor, hitting your 50% MR at level 1 (depends on dungeon, some you can go higher) while corroding all the level 1-3s/low damage 4s if I can and then start playing the level properly when I've found a second option.
Blovski

Postby Astral on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:36 pm

I feel the opposite way about Binlor, on some maps the broken 'walls' are quite neat and I may choose him just for decoration. I really love the pools of SP or the refreshing green spikes of Den of Danger.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Blovski on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:18 pm

Blovski

Postby Blovski on Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Decided to try the weirdest Chemist build I reasonably could for Cursed Oasis. Not really any point to it and no especial synergy other than a quick obnoxiously large health pool refill but I thought I'd just muck around to get my last few CO classes down.

Edit: was *almost* able to do a CO Rat run without killing non-bosses (Wonafyt, Imawal, Alchemist's Scroll, Patches + Yendor prep), unfortunately converted Wonafyt too early otherwise I wouldn't have had to kill some mooks to get to TS bottomside.

Edit edit: Goat down. Got Unstoppable and more or less just chewed the map out. Spiked with conversions and Stone Fist on TS then had a Pisorf waiting topside to sort out a Corrosions, Plantation -> GG switch. As always, Yendor makes the Goat easy. Two more runs (Gorgon CO, Rat Ick Swamp) to all sub-vicious rainbows except HGT.
Blovski

Postby Tinker on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:49 pm

I had a fun little romp thanks to a DI PQI. I almost always pick up Fighter PQIs as it's one of my favourite classes, and I especially love that both race picks are awesome (I only wish PQI had a Gnome Fighter too... :P ). Anyway, task was Miser but I picked up 5 other badges while I was at it:

The game was remarkably smooth and I'd even say effortless. I liked how Miser pushed me a bit out of the usual "Transmutation Seal + Slaying Wand" prep tandem that's pretty much staple for DI. As no ENDISWAL spawned, I had to fight every single dragon downstairs. Still, GG is just the deity for this thing, because between Cleansing taking care of the Mana Burn / Poison on top of piercing Physical Resist, and Enlightenment taking care of all the Curse Stacks, there's not much challenge the Matron's cave can offer. I did have a bit of an inventory problem thanks to all those beads, so I kept only LEMMISI (to fully re-heal between dragons, thanks to the abundant cave space).

BTW not sure if bug or intended, but if I select a monster on the score screen, the monster's level becomes hidden (see the Serpent selected in the middle).
Tinker

Postby Blovski on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Honestly I think there's not much reason to take the Slayer Wand over the Bear Mace (you can still skip a guard, just have to take one extra hit, and then you've got +25% damage on the Matron + most of bottomside and you're not lugging dead weight for the whole topside), unless you're Binlor, in which case there's fairly good reason to take the Bear Mace for early game anyway.
Blovski

Postby Tinker on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Tinker

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons