[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Extreme South Discussion Thread

Extreme South Discussion Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extreme South Discussion Thread

Postby The Avatar on Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:43 am

The spawn requirement for a secret subdungeon (once they’ve been unlocked) is a wall surrounded entirely by other walls. If at least one instance of this occurs, the game chooses one of those spots at random and replaces it with a secret subdungeon. Almost every single layout consistently does (most of them) or doesn’t (labyrinth) produce a valid location for spawning one. However, the ‘messy’ tileset used in Scrapyard, Mines, and Hexx can go either way. It almost always does not generate one, but in rare instances a 2x2 block of walls can spawn in a corner, causing that corner to spawn a secret subdungeon. The unique layout of Forsaken Temple, a scaled back version of HHoS generation, works the opposite way: It usually spawns a secret subdungeon (typically due to a 2x2 block in the corner), but occasionally it does not (when none of those 2x2 blocks generate, as well as no other valid spots along the edges).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:21 am

berpdreyfuss

Postby General_Milky on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:27 am

Ding!Max Ancient Scrapyard is super easy as a Goblin. If you get JJ/Dracul, well, it's downright trivial.
General_Milky

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:34 am

berpdreyfuss

Postby shade_of_ox on Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:22 pm

Shadow Bog is actually destroying me. It's pretty hard if you're not running a specialized build, I find.

My apothecaries keep sinking :(
shade_of_ox

Postby dislekcia on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Wait, what?! People can make their own puzzles? HTF did y'all get that right?
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:06 pm

By limiting it, essentially. We may add more functionality if the feature proves popular, but for now it’s basic. You can only design solo-troll puzzles, you can only save and load them in the context of the maker itself (as opposed to generating a puzzle you can select from the Explorer’s Guild menu), and you can only share them manually.

As for the more literal how, a series of items that generate everything you might need to make one, including four terrain types, five troll types, potions and cracked soul orbs (to restore fighter DP), glyphs you can pick up, and save/load functionality to capture/reset the puzzle once made/played. As a minor convenience note, all the generation items are click to use and click again to unselect (unlike normal glyphs, that unselect after use) to make it much less of a hassle to design complex maps. It’s not a perfect system, and it’s not everything it could be (yet), but it works quite well as a starting point for user-designed puzzles.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 am

That's pretty ingenious :)

We'd always planned to make a puzzle editor for the game, glad there's a way for players to stump each other.
dislekcia

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Ok, I am stuck at the Warmonger with Tinker in the Hidden Workshop. I am trying early conversions with a Taurog Orc but I can only get about four hits on one boss, it clearly isn't enough. Any hints on how to go about this one?
berpdreyfuss

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 pm

I did it with resist stacking with Dragon Shield + Taurog + Dracul + Tower Shield and poison, I think. Pretty overkill, but what can you do? Yendor is also a fairly easy win.

Human works better for damage than Orc, especially if you're going Taurog. You should be looking for Fine Sword and Cursed Cutlass (if you have the Cutlass unlocked, that is) and Keg of Health. Fight Lavavein early. You can take Goodusa later if you find a way to strip resists.
shade_of_ox

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons