[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby Rob1221 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:36 am

Just finished sucking the blood out of VT VGT: http://i.imgur.com/vXaPd3I.jpg

I went with the dragonshield/RBS/platemail combo and used HALPMEH as my only glyph (besides one cast of CYDSTEPP). In addition to the platemail I found an early balanced dagger and later a dragon soul. There were 5 meatmen that I relied on for lifesteal.

I was relieved after making it through the second subdungeon which was bloodless, but there were still a few tricky parts after that. Since most of my popcorn was in the way of subdungeons with no way to move them, that didn't leave enough for curse removal and I had to fight a few enemies dealing the full 120 damage. That drained an annoying amount of exploration but I still made it past. If I didn't use quicksilver/reflex on the cursed dragon there's a good chance I would have failed. The scroll that curses in exchange for resists went unused as well.

Another problem was that 2 of the meatmen were in the way of the last subdungeons, so they had to go, leaving me with only 3. In the last subdungeon before Horatio I got hit with one of a VGT player's worst fears: a Binlor subdungeon that started fully explored. I panicked at that point, but thankfully none of the enemies were bloodless and didn't require exploration to beat them.

Onward to Horatio, who did a negligible amount of damage until the berserk. Since Patches screwed me with only 4% resist bonus and I couldn't use the 5% resist scroll, the fight wouldn't be as easy as I thought. I used the whupaz that I was saving up, and that combined with dragon soul allowed me to win without touching my remaining blood pools or potions.
Rob1221

Postby Tinker on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:14 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby William on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:57 pm

Finished VGT last night using the vampire setup suggested in this thread. Beat it first try; it felt like cheating even though plate armor didn't materialize in the shops.

Today I finally got around to defeating Naga City two more times to unlock the Gorgon. Now I need to figure out what makes the Gorgon tick, as every daily with the Gorgon has led to my demise.
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Tinker

Postby MTaur on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:13 pm

MTaur

Postby Lujo on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:37 am

The thing with the Gorgon is that she originally had the old poison strike, the one where if you hit something it doesn't regenerate untill you hit something else. So you could get (un)reasonably high level kills while you explore. She was kind of tricky to play even then, but she really got screwed by the poison rework. She still ussually works well enough with Binlor (and I suppose Drac probably), or as a straight Mystera caster, or with Yendor (in shorter runs), but she was built to fight way higher opponents and cash in on the resource investment way more than she does currently (as she can't play the way she was intended to be played which was sorta explained by dislekcia somewhere once and it's kinda impossible to do that with the Gorgon as she is now).
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby William on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:37 am

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby Tinker on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:01 pm

VGT Goated:

I took Astral's recipe and it worked like a charm! I won on my 3rd try, and I didn't have to scum but I got lucky and scored both Soul Orb and HALPMEH. It was a walk in the park afterwards - farmed piety when I had a piety farmy deity; spent it when I got someone who offered good boons I wanted. Herbivore was never a disadvantage because food was abundant; in fact it was a benefit because I got a lot of CPs and Piety out of my excess reserves. On the successful run I did not have any issue with the spontaneus conversions; in fact, being able to pick & choose boons from most of the deities was unbelievably powerful.

Now, granted, Goat always runs the risk of getting RNG screwed (my previous attempt started me in TT; then swapped me over to Binlor with no way to earn even a single Piety before the level-up resist-wipe; etc.). I got really lucky on this run, but I think even a bit less luck would've been enough, because I had cca. 100 food and about 30 blood pools and an inventory full of items left at the end.

EDIT: Something that goes very differently with the goat in the end game is that you won't be in Dracul for the boss fight. Good news is that you can use HALPMEH and potions, most likely; bad news, no piety for drinking blood. Even worse news is that the RNG can screw you over by landing you in GG who hates blood drinking... Another interesting snippet is how useful Earthmother can be, I took several shots of Greenblood and Clearance.
Last edited by Tinker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinker

Postby William on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:30 am

Yowsers, congratulations! I do not look forward to the goatperson run. Maybe I will be a bit more comfortable once I beat the Tower of Gaan-telet with a goat first.
"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:48 pm

I finally completed all the silver challenges, the explorer guild gave me a hard time. Last one I did was the crusader and it took a lot of tries to finally get it right. Now off to the gold challenges!
berpdreyfuss

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons