Popcorn is a colloquial term for XP-valuable monsters of a low level that are easily killed.
Popcorn is usually the result of careful play that takes advantage of the bonus experience gained from killing high-level monsters exclusively. The surplus lower-level monsters can usually be killed in a single strike, incurring no loss of health. With a large popcorn reserve, players can harvest enough popcorn to level up once or even twice in quick succession. This is a common strategy for fighting bosses or high level enemies, often called a 'mid-level ding', where a player depletes their resources before killing enough popcorn to gain a level and receive full health and mana.
Popcorn can also synergize with many gods who grant large amounts of piety for killing enemies. Popcorn can be a reserve of piety as well as XP and even health for characters with life steal
Popcorn munching is an example of multiple monsters fighting
There are various types of popcorn:
- Popcorn: A low level monster that can be harvested with little to no loss of resources
- Salted/Seasoned (or even "buttered"): Slowing enemies is an excellent way to make out extra XP from popcorn enemies. The use of WONAFYT and WEYTWUT can be useful, as can certain items and boons.
- Chewy: A popcorn monster that requires more than one strike to finish. Meatmen, Goo Blobs, and Dragons are frequently chewy
- Spicy: A popcorn monster with first strike. Unless it has been slowed, it will injure you.
- Sour: A popcorn monster with an irritating debuff, like Curse. Monsters with Weakening or Corrosion can be sour if they are also chewy or spicy.
- Jawbreaker : A popcorn monster with deathgaze, such as a gorgon. Be extra carefull when dealing with that type of popcorn : you could easily get killed.
- Slipery: A chewy popcorn monster with blink, such as a high level shade. Unless is has been 'salted', it might just slip away...